30-day money-back guarantee
Unlimited access, anywhere, anytime
Learn from hand-vetted instructors, experts in their field
This badge will showcase your new expertise on your profile page after completing the course. Cool, right?.
Course SyllabusChapter 1
- 1. Introduction (3:30)
- 2. Do The Exercises (0:38)
- 3. Communication Challenges and Solutions (5:20) Free
- 4. Exercise: 4X4 Model (4:31)
- 5. Exercise Solution: 4X4 Model (3:25)
- Introduction - Quiz
Thinking Like a Communicator
- 6. The Power of Story (6:47)
- 7. Six Ways to Tap Into Your Inner Storyteller (12:31)
- 8. The Importance of Understanding Your Audience (3:42)
- 9. How to Understand Your Audience (4:35)
- 10. How to Embrace Emotion (to review) (4:37)
- 11. How to Tap Into Your Inherent Creativity (5:54)
- 12. Exercise: An Emotional Story (1:30)
- 13. Exercise Solution: An Emotional Story (1:13)
- Thinking Like a Communicator - Quiz
Telling Data Stories
- 14. Basic Data Analytics Tactics (8:53)
- 15. Basic Journalism Tactics (4:55)
- 16. Defining Your Story (5:37)
- 17. Sketching and Storyboarding (7:05)
- 18. Use Your Words (4:20)
- Telling Data Stories - Quiz
Essential Design Principles
- 19. The Power of Visuals (7:44)
- 20. How to Pick the Right Chart for Your Data (5:18)
- 21. Exercise: Chart Selection (6:27)
- 22. Exercise: Visualization (3:00)
- 23. Basic Chart Designs Principles (8:20)
- 24. Research Driven Design Principles (6:27)
- 25. Exercise: A Data Story (3:50)
- Essential Design Principles - Quiz
And Now What?
- 27. Great Data Stories for Your Inspiration (5:53)
- 28. Tips and Tricks (3:53)
- 29. How to Sell Data Storytelling Services (3:56)
- 30. A Conversation Guide for Talking to Prospects About Data Storytelling Projects (5:29)
- 31. Course Summary (2:48)
- Final Quiz
By Bill Shander
Information designer with 25+ years of experience. His clients include the World Bank, the UN, and Starbucks.
- 30 Videos
- 2.5 Hours
Data that sits in Spark or Hadoop or even a spreadsheet is not as powerful as data that is interpreted, packaged and communicated to those who need to hear what it has to say. Anyone who works with data needs to know how to effectively present that analysis to the people who will be making decisions based on the data. And it's not as simple as throwing charts at people. You need to create narratives and visuals that really connect with audiences. This course will cover data storytelling, data visualization and communications best practices - all with an eye to turning a raw set of data and converting it into a compelling narrative presentation that will resonate with your audience.
Very informative and engaging.
Most. Boring. Course. EVER.
I learned a lot of this information from this course! Just having a little boring in lessons!
Great insights and information!
Very Insightful course, being in data analysis it has shown me one aspect which is how to produce consumable content for the audience and thus create more effective results for my clients overall.
A very didactic course, but one that is useful to all designers who design infographics!
Overall a good course on data-based storytelling though some parts got kind of boring and too theoretical. More practical applications could have been stated too.
Good training opportunity. Thanks Fiverr
Great course! I had some knowledge on the topic but Bill managed to make everything clearer. The knowledge acquired will definitely help me when writing content that includes data. Highly recommended!
The task if you choose to accept it... take boring data and make it interesting. Bill shares his lessons, tips, and tricks to make any data more marketable and with the right subject, I dare say interesting. As a nonfiction writer, it was definitely worth my time.
Data Storytelling: Deliver Insights via Compelling Stories is the best course to create a visually appealing design. During the course, I learn lots of new things.