Data Storytelling: Deliver Insights via Compelling Stories
Data Storytelling: Deliver Insights via Compelling Stories
This badge will appear on your profile once you complete this course.
Course Syllabuschapter 1
- 1. Introduction (3:30)
- 2. Do The Exercises (0:38)
- 3. Communication Challenges and Solutions (5:20) Free
- 4. Exercise: 4X4 Model (4:31)
- 5. Exercise Solution: 4X4 Model (3:25)
- Introduction - Quiz
Thinking Like a Communicator
- 6. The Power of Story (6:47)
- 7. Six Ways to Tap Into Your Inner Storyteller (12:31)
- 8. The Importance of Understanding Your Audience (3:42)
- 9. How to Understand Your Audience (4:35)
- 10. How to Embrace Emotion (to review) (4:37)
- 11. How to Tap Into Your Inherent Creativity (5:54)
- 12. Exercise: An Emotional Story (1:30)
- 13. Exercise Solution: An Emotional Story (1:13)
- Thinking Like a Communicator - Quiz
Telling Data Stories
- 14. Basic Data Analytics Tactics (8:53)
- 15. Basic Journalism Tactics (4:55)
- 16. Defining Your Story (5:37)
- 17. Sketching and Storyboarding (7:05)
- 18. Use Your Words (4:20)
- Telling Data Stories - Quiz
Essential Design Principles
- 19. The Power of Visuals (7:44)
- 20. How to Pick the Right Chart for Your Data (5:18)
- 21. Exercise: Chart Selection (6:27)
- 22. Exercise: Visualization (3:00)
- 23. Basic Chart Designs Principles (8:20)
- 24. Research Driven Design Principles (6:27)
- 25. Exercise: A Data Story (3:50)
- Essential Design Principles - Quiz
And Now What?
- 27. Great Data Stories for Your Inspiration (5:53)
- 28. Tips and Tricks (3:53)
- 29. How to Sell Data Storytelling Services (3:56)
- 30. A Conversation Guide for Talking to Prospects About Data Storytelling Projects (5:29)
- 31. Course Summary (2:48)
- Final Quiz
Information designer with 25+ years of experience. His clients include the World Bank, the UN, and Starbucks.
Data that sits in Spark or Hadoop or even a spreadsheet is not as powerful as data that is interpreted, packaged and communicated to those who need to hear what it has to say. Anyone who works with data needs to know how to effectively present that analysis to the people who will be making decisions based on the data. And it's not as simple as throwing charts at people. You need to create narratives and visuals that really connect with audiences. This course will cover data storytelling, data visualization and communications best practices - all with an eye to turning a raw set of data and converting it into a compelling narrative presentation that will resonate with your audience.
This course taught me so much more than I was expecting... Fascinating and compelling as promised.
This was, at it's heart, very basic, beginner information, with a few noteworthy tips and tricks thrown in. I found that I didn't learn too much new information. Writers who re new to data storytelling may learn a lot, though.
So, highly recommend if you've never done data storytelling before. Otherwise, choose a different course.
Simple language, effective strategies, easy to follow along and implement.
Before I bought this set of courses, I worried about whether it would be a quality investment.
After completing it, I'm more than satisfied. It's information-rich and offers templates that you can bring to a project.
The course did well to integrate the three key elements: design, data, and story. I'm not as strong on the data analysis side of things, and the course helped me address some of the key points to consider. Plus, the exercises and links to extra resources are good for navigating further study.
A very didactic course, but one that is useful to all designers who design infographics!
A brilliant course ! Thank you very much indeed, Bill.
You will not only get tips & tricks from a master of the trade, but also a basic work structure, which will help you through projects. You will learn how to tap your creativity and see what´s possible by looking at many great example and related websites.
Aimed at absolute beginners
Great insights and information!
Very well presented in every day language that everyone can understand.
Data Storytelling: Deliver Insights via Compelling Stories is the best course to create a visually appealing design. During the course, I learn lots of new things.
Great course! I had some knowledge on the topic but Bill managed to make everything clearer. The knowledge acquired will definitely help me when writing content that includes data. Highly recommended!
The task if you choose to accept it... take boring data and make it interesting. Bill shares his lessons, tips, and tricks to make any data more marketable and with the right subject, I dare say interesting. As a nonfiction writer, it was definitely worth my time.
Most. Boring. Course. EVER.
Learned a lot of things. Good course.
I learned a lot of this information from this course! Just having a little boring in lessons!
Very Insightful course, being in data analysis it has shown me one aspect which is how to produce consumable content for the audience and thus create more effective results for my clients overall.
The course had me in the beginning when the instructor was talking about how to actually make the storytelling of data instructing. Towards the late middle to the end, it started getting a bit technical. I didn't really care for the class work, but overall I learned a lot from this course.
Took four pages of notes--all things that I didn't previously know about. This is really going to give my bland dashboard creations a kick in the rear. Thank you!
The course has insightful lessons and great materials for student further study.
Very insightful and easy to follow along. I like that the course also shed light on the peripherals like gestalt principles, journalism mindset, and colours.
This was a great course, I am a data analyst and related to most of the content but the tips and lesson on the design side were amazing!
The second half of the course felt somewhat dry and hard to maintain focus
The course itself was really interesting and insightful. I am an experienced analyst that has been dealing with data for 5 years, so I knew most of the things. The course arranged most of the knowledge in my head and reminded me of what is important.
Overall a great course!
Very insightful and though provoking course! I learned allot about the psychology of story telling and how I can help my clients tell better stories. I would highly recommend this course!